If you’ve been thinking about a puppy for any length of time, you’ve realized that there is a nearly endless variety of puppies available to you!
Whether you’ve been speaking with friends, scouring the internet, or have fallen in love with a particular breed already, it’s important to carefully consider your options before picking up your pup!
The most significant factors for choosing a puppy include your family’s lifestyle, the typical breed temperament, and the specific personality of the puppy you have in mind.
At Sugar Sweet Georgia Puppies, we’ve been working with breeders and individual puppies for decades and can happily use our experience to guide you toward your perfect pup! You can even use our Dog Breed Selector to start your search!
Prepare Your Home As A Safe Environment
Both your home and yard need to be properly prepared to keep your pup from getting into trouble.
Mental preparedness is also extremely important for new pet owners. Always remind yourself that your puppy is just curious and teething, and they will not damage anything maliciously.
It’s your job to remain patient, prevent them from accessing hazardous or valuable items, and consistently monitor them. Here are our top tips for providing a safe environment for your new puppy.
What’s The Best Puppy For Your Lifestyle?
For many people, our life is just routine and normal for us, but it can be difficult to describe exactly what “normal” looks like for you!
Asking yourself a set of questions can help you determine what your lifestyle looks like and how your routines might impact a dog.
- Children: do you have kids or plan to have kids? Some breeds are incredibly well-suited for life with children, and some are better choices only for families with older children.
- Activity level: do you live a more sedentary lifestyle, or do you need a dog who will enjoy daily runs?
- Training: do you have plenty of time to focus on training and socialization for your puppy? Some dogs are very quick to learn and eager to please, while other breeds may require a bit more work.
- Work: are you gone for many hours every day? Do you have dog-loving family and friends nearby who would take your dog out for bathroom breaks during the day?
- Money: dogs are family, and their needs must be accounted for in your budget. Ensure that you have the income to cover routine vet bills, pet insurance (should you want it), food, toys, crate, travel supplies, and emergency costs.
- Travel: do you travel frequently for pleasure or business? When you travel, would your dog come with you? If not, would you board them or do you have family or friends who would be able to care for them?
What is The Best Breed Is Right For You?
Everyone has different expectations for a dog, and choosing the right breed will give you the best chance of finding the puppy of your dreams!
Whether you’re looking for an active and intelligent pup who can compete in agility or obedience, or you’d love a friendly fluffball who will adore everyone they meet, the right dog is out there!
- Goals: do you have specific activities in mind for you and your puppy? Breeds exist to fit different niches! Spend some time picturing the activities that would be most enjoyable and fulfilling for you…believe it or not, there’s probably a breed that would love the same things as you!
- Size: dogs come in all shapes and sizes, and most of us have preferences! Maybe you want a tiny pup with a luxurious coat, such as a Yorkipoo, or a medium-sized dog who will love your kids like a Frenchton?
- Fur: every dog has fur, but if you struggle with allergies there are plenty of dogs who fit your needs! Shedding doesn’t bother some families, while others may find it extremely burdensome. Maybe daily brushings would be a welcome part of your routine! There’s truly a dog for everyone, even in the fur department.
Talk to the Experts
Once you’ve thought through your lifestyle and expectations, it’s time to consult the experts!
Once you’ve narrowed down your search, speak with experienced pet owners or breeders to get a real sense of what you can expect from the breed.
Our team at Sugar Sweet Georgia Puppies is experienced with a wide range of breeds and would be delighted to advise you!
We can’t wait to meet you and introduce you to your newest family member! Contact us today and let us help you find the perfect pup for you.