Premier Kennel Club (PKC)
A Cava-Tzu is a cross breed between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Shih Tzu, resulting in a small hybrid dog that can make an excellent family pet. Cava-Tzu can incorporate breed traits that are associated with both their Cavalier and Shih Tzu parents. This designer dog started to bred in the early 2000s to create a companion-sized pup.
The Cava-Tzu can make great members of the family because of their friendly, loyal and playful personalities. They are also perfect for first-time pet owners. A Cava-Tzu will inherit physical traits from both parents. These designer dogs can come in a variety of different coat colors, ranging from black, brown, white, tan, or ruby. In terms of texture, the Cava-Tzu can have a thick coat that is curly and silky. Cavaliers and Shih Tzu both have reputations for being affectionate breeds.
- Height: 9-18” depending on if Toy or Mini
- Size: Small – Medium
- Weight: 10-16lbs
- Availability: Might take some effort to find
- Talents: Performing tricks, Companionship
While some designer dogs have been created with hypoallergenic qualities, this isn’t the case with the Cava-Tzu. They’re more likely to be moderate shedders. A hypoallergenic dog breed is one that is less likely to trigger someone’s allergies than other types of canines. This of course varies.
A Cava-Tzu doesn’t need a lot of exercise and will be happy to play games inside an apartment or in a fenced in yard. Short walks to the beach or a dog park will be enjoyed but they do not need long walks. They tolerate the cold more than the heat so don’t walk them when it is extremely hot outside. Even though they are happy to be carried around, exercise shouldn’t be neglected. They are intelligent dogs so they will enjoy training and obedience classes.
Cavaliers and Shih Tzu are usually recommended for young, middle or older dog owners due to their low to moderate exercise needs. You won’t have to worry about multiple walks a day. Cava-Tzu will need a short walk or two a day. They are considered a lower maintenance breed.
Cava-Tzu get along with people and other dogs well. They are a friendly and social breed perfect for any family.
- Children: Excellent with children
- Friendliness: Moderately protective
- Trainability: Very easy to train
- Independence: Fairly independent
- Dominance: Moderate
- Other Pets: Great with other pets
- Combativeness: Friendly with other pets
- Noise: Not a barker
- Indoors: Moderately active indoors
- Owner: Good for novice owners
- Grooming: Regular grooming needed
- Trimming and Stripping: Some trimming or stripping needed
- Coat: Curly/Medium coat
- Shedding: None or Very Light
- Docking: Ears and tail are not cropped or docked
- Exercise: Moderate exercise needed
- Jogging: A good jogging companion
- Apartments: If sufficiently exercised, will be okay in an apartment
- Outdoor Space: Ok with or without a yard if exercised
- Climate: Does well in most climates
- Longevity: Average (10 to 18 years)