Premier Kennel Club (PKC)
This feisty little guy isn’t a purebred dog, but a designer hybrid resulting from mating of a purebred Shih Tzu with a purebred Yorkshire Terrier. They have a huge personality in a small body.
A feisty, stubborn, and intensely loyal protector, the Shorkie is best suited for adult-only homes or those with older children.
Let’s have a look at this intensely loyal protector in a little more detail.
- Height: 9-11” depending on if Toy or Mini
- Size: Very Small to Small
- Weight: 5-12lbs depending on if Toy or Mini
- Availability: Might take some effort to find
- Talents: Performing tricks, Companionship
The Yorkie Tzu was originally bred as a companion and as both parents shed minimally, they are proving increasingly popular.
As they are a hybrid, they are not currently recognized by any Kennel Club but they are recognized by The Premium Kennel Club and The Designer Breed Registry.
They possess an unwavering loyalty to their family which means they are always alert and watchful. Their energy and enthusiasm mean they will happily hang out with you regardless of what you want to do. If you want a fiercely independent, tenacious, and brave comrade, this Shih Tzu Yorkie mix is the dog for you. They will alert you to anything that is out of place.
- Children: Excellent with children
- Friendliness: Moderately protective
- Trainability: Very easy to train
- Independence: Fairly independent
- Dominance: Moderate
- Other Pets: Great with other pets
- Combativeness: Friendly with other pets
- Noise: Not much of a barker
- Indoors: Moderately active indoors
- Owner: Good for novice owners
- Grooming: Regular grooming needed
- Trimming and Stripping: Some trimming or stripping needed
- Coat: Curly/Medium coat
- Shedding: None or Very Light
- Docking: Ears and tail are not cropped or docked
- Exercise: Moderate exercise needed
- Jogging: Not a great jogging companion
- Apartments: If sufficiently exercised, will be okay in an apartment
- Outdoor Space: Ok with or without a yard if exercised
- Climate: Does well in most climates
- Longevity: Average (10 to 16 years)