Premier Kennel Club (PKC)
Affectionate, intelligent, the Yorkipoo is one of the smaller designer crossbreeds that will feel at home even in the smallest apartment. This designer breed is growing in popularity due to its fun-loving personality and cute looks. The breeds that make up the Yorkipoo are the Yorkshire Terrier and the Poodle (Toy or sometimes Miniature).
The Yorkipoo can be a first cross (with one Yorkshire Terrier and one Poodle parent), they can be bred back to one of the original breeds – either size of Poodle – or be two Yorkipoos bred together. This means there are varieties in size, shape, colors, and coat types, but in all cases, this is a small companion dog.
- Height: 7-15” depending on if Toy or Mini
- Size: Very Small to Small
- Weight: 3-14lbs depending on if Toy or Mini
- Availability: Might take some effort to find
- Talents: Performing tricks, Companionship
The Yorkie Poo may be small, but he still needs regular exercise and training. The good news is that this is an adaptable, spirited, and outgoing crossbreed that can be great in apartments and large homes.
Smaller dogs like Yorkie Poos don’t require as much exercise as some other breeds but will need a good walk at least once a day and then some playtime in the house or in the backyard.
- Children: Excellent with children
- Friendliness: Moderately protective
- Trainability: Very easy to train
- Independence: Fairly independent
- Dominance: Moderate
- Other Pets: Great with other pets
- Combativeness: Friendly with other pets
- Noise: Not a barker
- Indoors: Moderately active indoors
- Owner: Good for novice owners
- Grooming: Regular grooming needed
- Trimming and Stripping: Some trimming or stripping needed
- Coat: Curly/Medium coat
- Shedding: None or Very Light
- Docking: Ears and tail are not cropped or docked
- Exercise: Moderate exercise needed
- Jogging: A good jogging companion
- Apartments: If sufficiently exercised, will be okay in an apartment
- Outdoor Space: Ok with or without a yard if exercised
- Climate: Does well in most climates
- Longevity: Average (10 to 18 years)