Premier Kennel Club (PKC)
A Morkie is a cross between a purebred Yorkshire Terrier and a Maltese. They became popular in the US around 20 years ago. You may also hear them being called Morkshire Terriers or Malkis. These pups are prized for their friendly, outgoing nature and hypoallergenic coats.
The tiny Morkie is a petite pretty pup.
They have a small, round face with a reasonable length muzzle. Their ears are covered in long fur and drop down. The neck and back are quite lean and lead into a tail with a slight curl. Their legs are thin and should be straight when you look at them from the front.
Its coat is gorgeous and attracts plenty of attention. They have long, thin hair that will easily grow to several inches in length. They’re a low-shedding dog which makes them hypoallergenic and great for people with allergies.
Most have the typical black and tan coloration of the Yorkshire Terrier. There are a few other varieties of coat color, including black, brown, tan and white. As there is no breed standard for these designer dogs, all appearances are loved equally among enthusiasts.
- Height: 6-10”
- Size:Extra small to small
- Weight: 4-12lbs
- Availability: Might take some effort to find
- Talents: Performing tricks, Companionship
Morkies do extremely well in homes with older children who understand how to handle and behave around a small dog. They are not suited to homes with young children as they’re extremely delicate and can be easily damaged by tiny, inexperienced hands unless they have excellent supervision and guidance.
- Children: Excellent with children/Young children need supervision
- Friendliness: Very Friendly
- Trainability: Fairly easy to train
- Independence: Fairly dependent
- Dominance: Moderate
- Other Pets: Great with other pets
- Combativeness: Friendly with other pets
- Noise: Little Barking
- Indoors: Moderately active indoors
- Owner: Good for novice owners
- Grooming: Regular grooming needed
- Trimming and Stripping: Some trimming or stripping needed
- Coat: Curly/Medium coat
- Shedding: None or Very Light
- Docking: Ears and tail are not cropped or docked
- Exercise: Little exercise needed
- Jogging: A good jogging companion
- Apartments: Great for apartment living
- Outdoor Space: Ok with or without a yard
- Climate: Does well in most climates
- Longevity: Average (12 to 15 years)