Premier Kennel Club (PKC)
The earliest of what has become known as designer dogs, cockapoos were first created by accident in the United States in the 1960s. The Cockapoo was first bred by designer dog breeders in the United States with the aim of producing a healthy companion dog that, it is claimed by its supporters, does not inherit many of the health defects common in the two parent breeds due to hybrid vigor.
With the intelligence of a poodle and the loving nature of a cocker spaniel, it’s no surprise the cockapoo is one of the most sought-after crossbreeds in the U.S. They are low-shedding, easy-to-love dog that comes in a variety of colors and sizes to meet the needs of any family.
Cockapoos get along easily with everyone they meet due to their easy-going personalities. They’re a happy, friendly breed that will devote their lives to loving their families. Depending on how they’re raised, a cockapoo can be a couch potato or prefer going on adventures outdoors. They enjoy playtime with children or other dogs, and will always be ready for some belly rubs after a busy day. These dogs don’t discriminate, they love to get attention from anyone they meet and will give it right back.
- Height: 9-18”
- Size: Small-Medium
- Weight: 6-19lbs depending on if Toy, Mini or Standard
- Availability: Might take some effort to find
- Talents: Performing tricks, Companionship
Because of their poodle parent, cockapoos don’t shed much (if at all), making them a popular option for dog owners with allergies. Although no dog is 100 percent hypoallergenic, cockapoos can be a good fit for those who suffer from dog allergies.
- Children: Excellent with children
- Friendliness: Very Friendly
- Trainability: Fairly easy to train
- Independence: Fairly independent
- Dominance: Moderate
- Other Pets: Great with other pets
- Combativeness: Friendly with other pets
- Noise: Average barker
- Indoors: Moderately active indoors
- Owner: Good for novice owners
- Grooming: Regular grooming needed
- Trimming and Stripping: Some trimming or stripping needed
- Coat: Curly/Medium coat
- Shedding: None or Very Light
- Docking: Ears and tail are not cropped or docked
- Exercise: Moderate exercise needed
- Jogging: A good jogging companion
- Apartments: If sufficiently exercised, will be okay in an apartment
- Outdoor Space: Ok with or without a yard if exercised
- Climate: Does well in most climates
- Longevity: Average (10 to 18 years)
Check Available Puppies in Georgia
Books about Cockapoos